Our goal is to synchronize a specific OU to O365 subscription instead of all Active Directory users in the domain. We have gone through the Directory sync wizard again and again but we were not able to locate any option that can limit the data synchronization. Hence, we are looking for a way to synchronize only required users based on any filter or if we can limit the directory sync tool to synchronize a single or couple of selected OUs only.
There are specific OUs in Active Directory that needs to be synched to O365 instead of all the users. It needs to be filtered to synch only the required users.
Use directory synchronization tool called “Synchronization Service Manager”.
Office 365 Account
Windows Azure Active Directory
Microsoft Directory Synchronization tool
To limit the synchronization directories from Local Active Directory to Windows Azure Active Directory, directory synchronization tool provides you a separate tool called “Synchronization Service Manager”.
- You must have installed Microsoft Directory Synchronization tool, if you haven’t already login to your O365 portal (portal.office.com), and select Office 365 from Admin drop down menu:
- Now if you have already activated Active Directory you will be redirected to below screen, select “Manage”:
- Download the Directory Synchronization tool:
4. Once the installation is complete, browse to following location:
X:\ Program Files\Windows Azure Active Directory Sync\SYNCBUS\Synchronization Service\UIShell
Locate and run “miisclient.exe”:
- You will be presented with the first interface of tool:
6. Click on “Management Agents” and double click on “Active Directory Connecter” to open the properties of this connector:
- On properties window move to “Configure Directory Partitions” node, click on “Containers” Button:
- Provide your local Active Directory Administrative credentials here:
- After clicking “OK” above, you will be prompted with “Containers” list from your Local Active Directory. Uncheck all of the unwanted OUs and select the ones that are required to be synced with O365. Click OK.
10 . Now that you have configured the tool to sync only filtered / conditional users/OUs you can push the directory sync to synchronize immediately or can wait for the next sync to occur.
Here is the initial screen before the synchronization took place:
And here is the one after the Configuration and synchronization:
11. As can be seen above, only the users that are in “O365 Test” OU are synched, here is the picture on users that were not synched: