Warning: Absconfig.exe that is shipped with RTM version on Lync Server 2010 is out of date. Meaning that this version of absconfig.exe is actually designed for OCS, not Lync. Using this version of the tool will corrupt your RTC.dbo.abattribute database table and break your Lync clients. Updated version of the tool can be found here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621857
If you already ran the tool, keep reading this article as i will provide instructions to fix the corrupt database.
First, how do you know if your RTC.dbo.abattribute database table is corrupt ?
If your Lync RTC dbo.abattribute table looks like the OCS server, you need to keep reading. Below steps should help you rebuild the dbo.abattribute table
1. On the server which holds the RTC database, install the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Studio and connect to the RTC database.
2. Click on “New Query” and paste the following SQL into the query window and click the execute button. The execute button is the small green “play” icon.
use rtc exec dbo.RtcDeleteAbAttributes exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 1, N'givenName', 0x01400000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 2, N'sn', 0x02400000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 3, N'displayName', 0x03420000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 4, N'title', 0x04000000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 5, N'mailNickname', 0x05400000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 6, N'company', 0x06000000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 7, N'physicalDeliveryOfficeName', 0x07000000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 8, N'msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress', 0x08520C00 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 9, N'telephoneNumber', 0x09622800 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 10, N'homePhone', 0x0A302800 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 11, N'mobile', 0x0B622800 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 12, N'otherTelephone', 0x0C302000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 13, N'ipPhone', 0x0D302000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 14, N'mail', 0x0E500000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 15, N'groupType', 0x0F010800 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 16, N'Department', 0x10000000 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 17, N'Description', 0x11000100 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 18, N'manager', 0x12040001 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 19, N'proxyAddresses', 0x00500105 exec dbo.RtcAddAbAttribute 20, N'msExchHideFromAddressLists', 0xFF000003
3. From the Lync Management Shell run the following command: Update-CsUserDatabase
4. Open up the servers event viewer and wait until you can see Lync events 30024, 30027 & 30028 before proceeding with the next step.
5. From the Lync Management Shell run the following command: Update-CsAddressBook and wait around ten minutes before proceeding with the next step.
6. Open a Lync 2010 client and wait for the address book to download, this should have now resolved all address book issues.